Soundwave Comic Con 2018 Cosplay Contest Rules
Registration will be from 11:00AM to 3:00PM.
All contestants MUST be at the staging area by 4:15PM to compete.
The contest will begin promptly at 4:30PM and end at 5:30PM.
- All participants must have a valid Soundwave Comic Con entry armband.
- All participants must read and agree to follow all rules of the Cosplay Contest. Your registration in the contest implies your acceptance of these rules.
- By registering for the Cosplay Contest, all participants agree to allow Soundwave Comics to use their images for promotional purposes, both photographs and video.
- Registration will end at 3:00PM. There will be no exceptions.
- All contestants must be at the staging area at the designated time, or they will be disqualified.
Rules and General Information:
Soundwave Comic Con is a family friendly event. Cosplay entries should not go beyond PG-13, including, but not limited to:
- Offensive language - no racial or sexual epithets; no profanity, etc.
- No excessive violence.
- No nudity - all costumes and cosplays must adhere to the official convention rules as well as SC state ordinances on indecent exposure. If you have a question about your costume, please ask the Cosplay Contest Coordinator or a Soundwave Staff Member.
- Entrants must exhibit good sportsmanship and remain professional at all times. Rude behavior and offensive remarks or insults toward Soundwave’s staff, judges, or other entrants will be considered grounds for disqualification and removal from the event.
- Entrants must be respectful of other contestant’s time in the spotlight. Contestants who interfere with another entrant in any way will be disqualified from the contest.
Convention staff is unable to provide a method of playing “walk-in” or “hype” music for entrants.
Convention staff and volunteers will be around to help entrants with any non-emergency assistance they may need (holding props, helping guide entrants, assisting with wheelchairs, etc.)
The Following Are Prohibited:
- Use of fire, flame, smoke, fog, dry ice, wind machines, lasers, pressurized gases or liquids.
- Use of messy substances – wet, dry, or oily – in the staging area or on stage.
- Jumping on or off the stage area. There will be officially designated stage entrances and exits.
- Pointing weapons at anyone will not be tolerated, except if asked by photographers for the sake of photography.
- All weapons must be approved by the Costume Contest Coordinator, to ensure they are in accordance with Soundwave Comic Con Weapons Policy (as outlined below.)
Soundwave Comic Con Weapons Policy:
NO FUNCTIONAL WEAPONS ARE ALLOWED, AT ALL, AT THE SOUNDWAVE COMIC CON.
Simulated or costume weapons are allowed as part of your costume, subject to prior approval by security and compliance with the following:
- All costume weapons must be inspected by and peace bonded by the Con staff at the Convention entrance. No exceptions.
- All costume weapons must conform to state and federal law (red tips on prop firearms, etc.)
- If you do not want to have your costume weapons inspected or tagged, or if you are not willing to comply with these policies, please do not bring your costume weapons to the Soundwave Comic Con.
All decisions regarding eligibility made by the Cosplay Contest Coordinator or any of the Soundwave Comic Con Coordinators are final.
Costumes and props are the sole responsibility of their owners and Soundwave Comics does not assume responsibility for lost or damaged costumes or props.
As we work to ensure that all entrants compete with their peers and not against more experienced entrants, categories have been established. While contestants may pick their own level, an entry may be reclassified by the Judges or the Cosplay Contest Coordinator if they feel it is appropriate.
- Adult Master (Age 14 and up)
- The Master category is intended for skilled cosplayers with cosplay experience, recognition and/or awards.
- Professional actors and actresses or groups who perform outside the convention circuit are required to compete at this level.
- Professional costumers, seamstresses or people who take commissions for creating costumes, props or other clothing are required to compete at this level for Construction.
- Anyone who has won awards as a Novice (if they are recognized by the registration staff).
- An individual who has achieved "Master" status at any other major convention, or
- Anyone who chooses to compete in this division may do so.
- Adult Novice (Age 14 and up)
- The Novice category is intended for people with virtually no cosplay experience or cosplayers with little to no prior experience on stage/making costumes.
- Anyone who has never won an award in a cosplay competition (other than as a Youth) at any convention.
- First time performers / cosplayers fit here.
- Kids (Age 13 and under)
- 15 and under on the day of competition.
- Parents may accompany their children if desired.
Group entries are not permitted – each will be judged as a single entry.
All contestants should expect to do quick presentation consisting of a few poses intended to show off the costume. Both the audience and the judges will need to see you costume. Skits will not be necessary, but if your character has a catch phrase feel free to belt it out!
Best In Show:
This is given to an entrant who has shown an overall exceptional degree of craftsmanship and execution. This award may be given to an entry in any category.
Best In Category:
This is given to an entrant who has shown an exceptional degree of craftsmanship and execution. This award may be given to an entry in any category.
- Best of Adult Master
- Best of Adult Novice
- Best of Kids
Honorable Mention prizes may be given at the judge’s panel discretion.