It seems just yesterday we here at Soundwave were anticipating the not-quite-reboot Marvel Now!, where most of Marvel’s ongoing titles were relaunched with new creative teams and exciting new visions for their classic characters. The initiative was an astounding success overall, with titles such as All-New X-Men and Superior Spider-Man, as well as the events Infinity and Battle of the Atom bringing in new readers and offering a breath of fresh air to existing ones.
Alas, its been almost a year and a half since the launch of Marvel Now!, and while the comics have maintained their quality over time, the brand has lost a bit of its “Now!-ness”. Enter All-New Marvel Now!, the second wave of Now! from Marvel which finds some titles ending, others being relaunched with new #1’s, and most other remaining books being rebranded with an easy access jumping on point. Its all a lot to take in, so we here at Soundwave wanted to make a comprehensive guide for readers looking to get in on the All-new, all-now action!
- Avengers Arena – ends with issue #18. Starting in March 2014, the new series Avengers Undercover will continue the story, with the same creative team of Dennis Hopeless and Kev Walker.
- Cable and X-Force & Uncanny X-Force – both titles are coming to a close in January 2014, before the launch of a brand new X-Force by Simon Spurrier and Rock-he Kim in February.
- Captain Marvel – Carol Danvers gets a clean state and a new start in February’s new Captain Marvel #1, written by Kelly Sue DeConnick and penciled by David Lopez. This series will pick up after Deconnick’s previous Captain Marvel title, which ended with issue #17.
- Daredevil – After the events of issue #36 and an Infinite Comics mini-series, Matt Murdock will return in Daredevil #1 by previous creative team Mark Waid and Chris Samnee.
- Fantastic Four & FF – both end with issue #16. The Richards family’s adventures continue in James Robinson and Leonard Kirk’s Fantasic Four #1 in February.
- Secret Avengers – Ales Kot takes completely over the writing duties with artist Michael Walsh on board when Secret Avengers is relaunched with a new #1 after the current “How to M.A.I.M. a Mockingbird”story arc.
- Wolverine – after the current arc Killable, Paul Cornell and Ryan Stegman restart the solo Wolverine title with a new #1 and much darker take on Logan.
- Wolverine & the X-Men – Jason Aaron’s run on this title will conclude with issue #42 in February. Jason Latour (who previously lived up to extremely high expectations by writing Winter Soldier after Ed Brubaker’s acclaimed run) takes over with a new #1 shortly thereafter.
- All-New Ghost Rider – written by Felipe Smith with art by Tradd Moore. Expected to begin in March 2014.
- All-New Invaders – written by James Robinson with art by Steve Pugh. On sale in January 2014.
- All-New X-Factor – written by Peter David with art by Carmine Di Giandomencio. On sale in January 2014.
- Avengers World – written by Jonathan Hickman and Nick Spencer with art by Stefano Caselli. On sale in January 2014.
- Black Widow – written by Nathan Edmonson with art by Phil Noto. On sale in January 2014.
- Elektra – written by Haden Blackman (taking over for the previously announced Zeb Wells) with art by Mike Del Mundo. Expected to begin in March 2014.
- Inhuman – Following the events of Infinity and Inhumanity, writer Charles Soule and artist Joe Maduiera continue the tale of the emergence of new inhumans in Inhuman #1, to begin April 2014.
- Iron Patriot – written by Ales Kot with art by Garry Brown. Expected to begin in March 2014.
- Loki: Agent of Asgard – written by Al Ewing with art by Lee Garbett. On sale in February 2014.
- Magneto – written by Cullen Bunn with art by Gabriel Hernandez Walta. Expected to begin in March 2014.
- Moon Knight – written by Warren Ellis with art by Declan Shalvey. Expected to begin in March 2014.
- Ms. Marvel – written by G. Willow Wilson with art by Adrian Alphona. On sale February 2014.
- New Warriors – written by Chris Yost with art by Marcus To. On sale February 2014.
- The Punisher – written by Nathan Edmonson with art by Mitch Gerards. On sale February 2014.
- She-Hulk – written by Charles Soule with art by Javier Pulido. On sale February 2014.
- Silver Surfer – written by Dan Slott with art by Michael Allred. Expected to begin March 2014.
All-New Story Arcs
- All-New X-Men – “The Trial of Jean Grey” begins in issue 22.NOW in January 2014.
- Avengers – “Rogue Planet” begins in issue 24.NOW in December 2013.
- Avengers A.I. – In issue 8.NOW, the team heads to the 130th century while facing the threat of Dimitrios. On sale January 2014.
- Captain America – Issue 16.NOW begins the next story arc of Captain America and the daughter of criminal mastermind Arnim Zola – Jet Black. On sale February 2014.
- Deadpool – Issue 25.NOW is actually the conclusion of “Deadpool versus S.H.I.E.L.D.” story arc, but writer Gerry Duggan stated “if you’ve never read Deadpool, you’ll get all of the sense of fun and horror of being Deadpool in that one issue. On sale March 2014.
- Guardians of the Galaxy – The series crosses over with “The Trial of Jean Grey” in issue 11.NOW. On sale January 2014.
- Iron Man – The new story “Rings of the Mandarin” begins in issue 23.NOW. On-sale March 2014.
- New Avengers – Issue 16.NOW begins the aftermath of Infinity as the cast takes on new multiversal threats. On sale March 2014.
- Nova – Deadpool writer Gerry Duggan begins his first big story arc in issue 13.NOW. Also, Beta Ray Bill joins the cast of Nova. On sale February 2014.
- Savage Wolverine – Writer/artist Richard Isanove begins his story arc, set in 1933 during the Great Depression in issue 14.NOW. On sale January 2014.
- Superior Spider-Man – Issue 27.NOW begins the “Goblin Nation” storyline. On sale February 2014.
- Thor: God of Thunder – Jason Aaron starts an all-new 5 part saga in issue 19.NOW. On sale February 2014.
- Thunderbolts – Ghost Rider joins the Thunderbolts in issue 20.NOW in February 2014.
- Uncanny Avengers – “Planet X” begins in issue 18.NOW following the shocking conclusion of “Ragnarok Now!” On sale March 2014.
- Uncanny X-Men – Cyclops leads his team against S.H.I.E.L.D. in the aftermath of “Battle of the Atom”, starting in issue 19.NOW. On sale March 2014.
- X-Men – Issue 10.NOW begins the 3 part story arc “Ghosts”, which begins in February 2014.
- Winter Soldier: The Bitter March begins in February, kicking off the 5 part mini-series from writer Rick Remender and artist Roland Boschi.
- All-New Marvel Now! Point One – A one shot featuring preludes to Loki: Agent of Asgard, Silver Surfer, Black Widow, Ms. Marvel, All-New Invaders and Avengers World.
So while some titles such as Young Avengers and X-Men Legacy are coming to a close without a solicited relaunch, and others like Indestructible Hulk and the Superior books Foes and Team-Up are continuing without an immediate introduction into “All-New Marvel Now!’, there’s plenty of cool new stuff for all you True Believers out there to sink your teeth into in the All-New year of 2014!